Scientists tell us that our planet’s eco-systems can no longer cope with the devastation humans inflict. Each one of us needs to do something to lower our negative ecological footprint – because there is no Planet B, Earth is all we have!
Environmental wellness involves leading a lifestyle that is respectful of and in harmony with your environment. It involves being aware of the limits of the earth’s natural resources, and understanding the impact of your actions on the environment.
Why is it important?
LOSS OF DIVERSITY. Every hour, 3 species disappear – up to 150 species become extinct every day. We are not separate from Nature, we are part of it. If the animals and plants die – we die.
GLOBAL WARMING. Transportation by fuel-guzzling land, water and air vehicles is depleting fossil fuels contributing to the green house gas affect and causing air pollution.
ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION. Half the world’s urban population is exposed to levels of pollution at least 2.5 times higher than what is acceptable.
POISONOUS WASTE. Eight million tons of plastic are dumped in the oceans every year – that’s equal to 5 big garbage bags per every foot of coastline. Plastic can take up to 500 years to degrade.
5 Eco Solutions
- Recycle – Keep glass, time and plastic in separate garbage bags so that the ‘trolley men’ will have an easier time sorting for recycling.
- Ditch Toxic Products – Many household cleaners contain chemicals that are harmful to your body and the atmosphere. You can surf the web for recipes to make non-toxic products at home.
- Grow Your Own – Nothing beats the taste of organic, pesticide-free herbs and veggies – grow them in your garden or on your balcony or windowsill.
- Meat Free Mondays – The Rain Forests are being destroyed to clear land for Beef farming. Take a stand by feeding your family healthy, delicious vegetarian meals every Monday.
- Conserve Water – Fix leaky taps, don’t have long showers or very full baths. Don’t rinse things under a running tap. Install water butts and collect rain water from your roof to water your garden.
Be the change you want to see in this world. You have the power to preserve our beautiful earth.